Are YOU Suffering?
Hormones and hormone imbalances affect every part of your life. Beyond leading to life-threatening illness, a general imbalance will negatively affect your physical health, energy levels, emotions and moods. This, in turn, can harm your work, your relationships and contentment with life’s simplest gifts.
Here’s a familiar scenario we hear all the time..…you’re on thyroid medication (perhaps prescribed by your GP) and yet, you still have most of the symptoms of low thyroid:
- Weight Gain
- Dry Skin
- Losing Hair and Eyebrows
- Swollen Eyes
But your labs are “normal.” Your doctor sends you to an Endocrinologist, where you’re hopeful that you’ll get solutions from a “specialist” but all she tells you is your labs are normal and to continue taking your prescription. You read some things on the internet and bug your Endocrinologist to change your medication which she reluctantly does. You only feel slightly better, but not as good as you know you can. The Endocrinologist does repeat labs and says you are on enough medication because your “labs are normal.” However, she says that she can prescribe you an antidepressant and sleeping pills for your other symptoms. Sound familiar?
“Normal” labs but still have symptoms?
Did you know that nine out of 10 cases of hypothyroid symptoms are caused by autoimmunity (with or without hypothyroidism confirmed by blood tests) and is known as Hashimoto’s?
Autoimmunity refers to what happens when the immune system, which is supposed to go after foreign proteins in our blood, instead turns against our own proteins. In short we are attacking ourselves the same way the immune system would attack a virus or foreign bacteria.
If the immune system decides to attack the tissue of the nervous system, we are given a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis and we are sent to see a neurologist (who manages the symptoms associated with the tissue being attacked). If the immune system decides to attack the tissue in the intestines we are given a diagnosis of Celiac or Crohn’s disease and we are sent to a gastroenterologist who treats and manages the symptoms associated with the tissue being attacked. If the immune system attacks the tissue in our joints, we are given a diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis and we are sent to a rheumatologist, who treats the symptoms associated with the tissue being attacked. If the immune system attacks the proteins associated with thyroid tissue, we are given a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s and we see an endocrinologist who treats the symptoms associated with the tissue being attacked. The problem is, none of these doctors address what is driving the autoimmune response!
There are over 80 known autoimmune diseases and there are at least that many unknown autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune diseases, if looked at as one single group, far outnumbers the cases of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, stroke put together. The numbers have increased 400% over the past decade.
The points to take home here are:
- If you have autoimmune driven hypothyroidism, you still have to address the autoimmune component or your immune system will continue to attack your thyroid unabated resulting in unnecessary destruction of tissue. You have to learn what in your environment may be driving the autoimmunity and what can you do to protect your bloodstream from the inappropriate passage of offending proteins.
- It is very rare for people to have one autoimmune condition. The longer you wait, the greater the likelihood you will develop more autoimmune conditions.
- The symptoms of unabated autoimmune reactions can cause all of the symptoms associated with hypothyroidism, without hypothyroidism. Meaning your blood work comes back looking normal.
- If your blood tests are made normal by medication like Synthroid or Thyroxine you may continue to have hypothyroid symptoms because underlying metabolic processes are not being addressed.
- Men can have thyroid conditions and symptoms too.
The next step is to determine what is driving the autoimmunity. Autoimmunity can stay in remission for many years if not a lifetime if you can uncover and eliminate its driving force.
Ready to Get YOUR Life Back?
You don’t need to:
- Run around in circles taking the wrong tests
- Take multiple medications that cover up symptoms (or create new ones)
At Thrive Health, our functional health coaches see the whole picture. Symptoms are simply symptoms – the body’s way of communicating something is wrong. We take a step back to figure out where these symptoms are coming from and address the body as a whole by uncovering the root CAUSE. We use the latest research in thyroid, autoimmune, and inflammatory disease to order the correct tests for YOU.
Thrive Health uses a SIMPLE yet VERY comprehensive, 3 Step System to get the answers and results you’ve been looking for, safely and naturally!